Sunday, 2 August 2009

An Evening with Shobha De and Amitav Ghosh





I have always been a fan of courageous,brave women unafraid to speak the truth,unafraid of consequences.And one such women of courage and integrity happens to be Shobha De.I would read her columns in the times of india,which were feministic,brave,acidic,more because there was this woman,who was an icon,for her writing and the intellectual genes cells/blood inside my body thanks to a poet father and intellectual mother,I had grown up on a diet of writers,poets,brave,courageous heroes and heroines.And to me Shobha De and Amitav Ghosh were few such icons.When I was informed Amitav Ghosh was to visit Bhubaneswar,I certainly couldnot wait to listen to the Iconic writer,who is one of India’s best-known writers. His books include The Circle of Reason, The Shadow Lines, In An Antique Land, Dancing in Cambodia, The Calcutta Chromosome, The Glass Palace, Incendiary Circumstances, The Hungry Tide. His most recent novel, Sea of Poppies, is the first volume of the Ibis Trilogy.His last book Sea of Poppies was shortlisted for the prestigious booker prize and recently won the Crossword Book Award.The name and the legacy of remarkable books didnt stop popping in my mind,when my Papa informed me of Shobha De...I certainly was looking forward to july-28-2009.Amazingly,the whole of Soochna bhawan was packed,which tells the relevance of literature today,which was the topic on which both along with Orissa's literary stalwarts Shri Ramakant Rath and Shri Soumya Ranjan Patnaik,presented their lectures.

Shri Ghosh,amazed me with his humane,grounded spirit and amazing memory,he reckoned almost all his friends he had in Orissa and even confessed to enjoying his visits to a rural village at purushottampur and puri temple and konark,being a bengali,he has a soft corner for orissa like many bengalis do.He even spoke of significance of orissa,in his books and places he has visited be it burma,malaysia,singapore.

Personally,besides admiring the fiesty Golden woman of words,Shobha De,I had this mental image of her being a snooty,snobbish diva.But with great admiration and awe I was stunned to see her radiant warmth and kindness of heart.Than did I realise all that image i thought her to be having was a media-stroked-image of a celebrity,but in person she has this glowing,unforgettable charm,thats difficult to forget.My papa always had said,''I want you to be like Shobha De''.My Mother and brother are fans of her exquisite fashion sense which could be bohemian sometimes blended with flashy jewellery that would make anybody else look pompous but when Shobha De wears them,she looks like a fashion diva.Well anytime I feel low I read Shobha de,I love and admire her for her caustic tongue and unafraid spirit..she is unapologetic about her writings and views.She certainly gives no care in the air if someone is offended by her views,truth or writing.She believes that journalists,writers need never be suppresed and the day a person,or journalist tries to suppress the truth afraid of consequences,or society then he or she is obsolete of committing a crime towards humanity.


12 comments:

The abstract scientist said...

How lucky you are to meet such eminent personalities!!
I admire Ms. Shobha De for her bold personality that is mirrored in her writing. I was elated when once she replied to one of my comments on her blog. It was a 3 mail conversation. My facebook status read 'Shobha De sent me a private mail.yahoooooooooooooooo'

Rasheed said...

good reading

your fan said...

thank god,there's a new writing from you,i would have died waiting.

The Geekie said...

she did came a week back....i cudnt meet her...i m big fan of her blog...i missed her visit :(

Bullshee said...

Thnks for the drop by...

I was lookin at your interests on the right hand part of this page...answer me this - why is "Actress" a politically incorrect way of saying Actor who happens to be a woman?

Not pulling your leg, just curious about it and never understood it...

bibhuthegyaanguru said...

yes....u r lucky....
and ur snaps are really nice

Lazy Writer said...

Sounds like you had a great time!

Lazy Writer said...

I had to add another thing. My mom had polio as a child, and now suffers from all kinds of back related problems. I admire you for your stand on this issue! God bless!

ZB said...

thanks for dropping by..

i am a huge fan of Amitav Ghosh myself and his The hungry Tide is one of my fav. I havent read Novels of Shobhaa de but i admire her for who she is. i read her blog, and her un mistakable humour and satirical style has really made me her fan.

Nice to read your classic taste of literature, i too am a fan of Earnest hemmingway, Truman Capote, James joyce, Samuel Beckett and Salinger. Thanks again:))

Ghost Rider said...

That truly must have been a great experience! I have read most of the books written by Amitav Ghosh, In an Antique Land, being my favorite so far, with Circle of Reason and Glass Palace being a close second and third!

Mayz said...

whoa!!! u r so lucky!!!

mohit said...

Must be an enjoyable read The Circle of Reason by Amitav Ghosh. loved the way you wrote it. I find your review very genuine and orignal, this book is going in by "to read" list.